Monday, April 30, 2012

Missing Missy

For those of you who have never known the love and joy of a pet, you have my sympathies. For those  of  you who think pets are "just animals", you also have my sympathies, and with all due respect, you are wrong. My "pets" are part of my family. In fact, I think I am a "pet" for my kitties as, clearly, they run the roost.

I am so terribly sad to report that over the weekend we lost our purry, furry little family member, Missy. She was the sweetest cat I ever knew.She was smart and funny and she loved everyone. She even had her own Twitter account.  She had little spats with her brother Buster, but they sometimes played together and would often look for each other around the house.


She loved chicken.
She hated having her feet touched.
She loved anything soft she could cuddle - blankets, pillows, teddy bears.
She hated the word "no."


She has been my sister surrogate and best friend for nearly 13 years. She has had a number of health issues over the past few years, but seemed to be just motoring along and was happy and fine - until she wasn't.








Friday she started having breathing trouble and by Friday evening we took her to the emergency vet because she seemed to be barely breathing. The vet found she had fluid in her chest cavity and lungs from an unknown cause and that it could be a mass of some sort. They put her in an oxygen box because she couldn't breathe on her own within just minutes of getting her there. Within a short time it became apparent there was nothing we could do for our little girl and we had to make the hardest decision I, personally, have ever had to make.


I like to think that perhaps she has found mine and Secret Agent Man's grandmas in Heaven and is getting lots and lots of pets and belly rubs. It is harder for us and we are truly grieving. In fact, I'm just going to post my pictures. I'll be back later this week.






7 comments:

  1. Oh Tera I am so sorry. I know what you mean by pets as family member because they are. I don't know how I will feel when Daisy or Wheezy or our 5 yesr old rabbit Snowflake will someday go but it will be great losses and very sad moments. I hope you find comfort in knowing that Missy knew she was loved. You gave her a good home. Many cats are roaming around not feeling human love. Missy looked very spunky. I especially love the photo where she is looking directly at the camera. Such feline elan. Missy lives forever in your heart and mind. The world is better because she was here and she made you happy. Tsup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma chère Tera, je comprends la douleur que vous pouvez ressentir... j'ai éprouvé la même chose avec mon ami Pyrrhus, mon dalmatien parti en octobre dernier et avant lui sa maman Laura. Nos animaux n'ont pas une place d'animaux dans notre vie et c'est pourquoi nous les pleurons tant. Je me réjouis toutefois de passer pour une folle aux yeux des gens qui ne comprennent pas notre attachement.
    Je vous remercie de partager avec nous les belles photos de votre petite Missy... elle est désormais un ange qui doit gambader dans la prairie des animaux...
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh, i am so sorry, pets are family and when they leave there is def a void that is hard to fill...hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Tera. Truly sad news. I'm so sorry to hear. The loss of our four footed family members can hit us equally as hard, definitely. And this was all too sudden. Sending you bucketfuls of hugs and love.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. I went through this a year ago with my kitty. And you're right, people who don't "get" people are truly missing out on the best, unconditional love there is. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I came upon your blog, and saw your Missy, my heart skipped a beat! She looked exactly like the cat that we had so many years, Mama, we called her. We had found her as a kitten in the woods, abandoned (people can be so cruel!) and we adopted her. She was a mother hen, hence her name. We had her for 14 years, until one day, she went to sleep and never woke up. Her son, Junior was beside her the whole time, and he 'cried' for a long time when she went. That was also heart wrenching. I am so sorry for your loss! Even as I write this, my eyes are watering as i remember her. Animals are a part of us..! Take care, and I'm sorry you had to make such a hard decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss. Pets are truly part of the family and it's hard to lose them. My best to your and your husband.

    ReplyDelete

Grab a cup of coffee and sit down.
Stay a while.
Share a thought or two...